As I’ve said, I’m in Fort Collins, CO to research this as a place to live. This “mission” has provided the impetus to do things I might otherwise never consider. Case in point: last night’s visit to the Community of Christ Church to hear a group of women sing a cappella. I read about this in the local newspaper, The Coloradoan, and since it was close, I decided to check it out. It was fantastic! The women are The Blend Chorus, a group of 20 women who sing four part barbershop harmony. Affiliated with Sweet Adelines International, the chorus competes in regional competitions and performs locally for special events and to raise operating expenses. They practice on Monday nights at the church.
When I walked in, I made sure they knew I did not sing and was just there to listen. Everyone welcomed me and I settled into a chair to hear them practice. But, first, they had to warm up with some stretching exercises. They invited me to join them, which I did. I work out and know how to stretch, right? But, of course, they stretched to music! Why didn’t that occur to me?! I’m hysterical in a class that moves to music. I can’t move to music! I’ve actually been known to cause women to pee their pants because I’m so bad! I don’t think this happened as I did not hear any guffaws behind me. Fortunately, the stretching only lasted for one song. Whew! Back to my seat where I vowed to stay. And, stay I did, for the entire rehearsal. That’s how much I enjoyed it. They were amazing and while I have no illusions about singing in the future, I gained an understanding of what it takes to sing and an appreciation of their effort. The final song the group did was a medley of John Denver tunes. Sappy as this sounds, it gave me goose bumps and brought tears to my eyes. Listening to four part harmony voices sing about Colorado and the Rocky Mountains and thinking about the possibility of moving here? Well, it just made my evening. I am so grateful they let me stay.
Want to hear The Blend Chorus? The group will perform a Spring Fling concert in Broomfield, CO. on Saturday, March 12th at 1:30 p.m. at Legacy High School, 2701 W 136th Ave. The cost is only $5. This is a dress rehearsal for the Sweet Adelines regional competition, which is in Colorado Springs March 25 and 26. If you love this style of music, you won’t want to miss an opportunity to hear this group and others sing. Want to learn more about The Blend? Go to: www.theblendchorus.org. For regional events: www.rmr8.org.
You can find a group in YOUR area at: www.sweetadelineintl.org. I found a group in Atlanta that I’ll have to check out when I get back. I'll be staying in my seat, thank you. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment