I have been in Fort Collins, CO. almost three weeks now researching this city and its many offerings. I keep thinking the city has run out of surprises. I can’t possibly be impressed any more than I already am. Wrong!
I went to Songwriter’s Circle last night at a venue for coffee and music here in Fort Collins, CO. – a place called Everyday Joe’s. I was surprised to learn that this place is actually a nonprofit organization. A church moved into the building in 2002 and church members decided to use the building for more than just worship on Sundays. The idea of a coffee shop and music venue was born out of their desire to foster community and relationships. Most of their “staff,” including their baristas are actually volunteers. How cool is that?! In addition to holding benefit concerts, the coffee house provides the meeting room for Songwriter's Circle, a group of budding songwriters/musicians who meet weekly to share their songs with each other.
Last night’s Songwriter’s Circle, now in its fourth week, was attended by four people: Patrick, Nora, Russell and Sarah who were kind enough to let me sit in as an observer. I have a brother who is a songwriter/musician and I was curious about a group who would get together to share their songs with their peers. Playing their acoustic guitars, group members took turns performing songs they’d written, each sharing two songs. I was impressed with their lyrics, as well as their guitar playing. I don’t know much about songwriting or guitar playing, but I know what music I like and I liked the songs they played. What impressed me the most, however, was this group’s willingness to share the story of how a song came to be – sometimes very personal stuff, and their willingness to accept feedback from their peers who can be much more critical than friends and family – that takes guts and shows commitment to their craft. They discussed the technicalities of the music – the changing chords and guitar picking, as well as each song’s lyrics, demonstrating that they were really listening to each other. And they gave honest feedback. They even let me chime in my observer’s viewpoint! It was an amazing evening and I so appreciate the group's generosity in letting me sit in.
Somehow the world seems very right when I see young people following their dreams, demonstrating their passion and perseverance. I feel reassured knowing that our world will be in such capable hands. This is a group of people that I want to embrace and connect with in my retirement, not shun. That’s one of the reasons we’re choosing a college town to live in – the young people and their energy.
Once again, the innovation and sense of community in Fort Collins has impressed me. For more on innovation in FC, see my post: Fort Collins, CO: An Entrepreneurial Incubator.
Thumbs up for this college town and this unusual nonprofit, Everyday Joe’s, for supporting budding artists and musicians. Your support is not going unnoticed. Thank you! Get the full story about Everyday Joe’s, their upcoming events and find ways you can support them at www.everydayjoes.org.
No comments:
Post a Comment