My husband joins me in Fort Collins, CO. tomorrow. He sent me this photo he took of himself in our metro Atlanta backyard this last weekend where temps were in the 70s. Yes, it made me miss him, my family and friends, my home, my backyard, and springtime in Atlanta. It really is beautiful in the spring. Of course, like many places in the country, we’ve been known to have some serious snow storms in March and tornadoes just rolled through on Monday, the day after this photo was taken. Weather is a bit of a roller coaster all over this time of year, I guess.
It’s not just weather you leave behind when relocating, of course, it’s a home, friends and, sometimes, family. Not an easy choice. For us, we’d be leaving behind our daughter, her husband and our little granddog, Paul. And while I would certainly miss my daughter and her husband, it’s that darn dog who I’d really cry over! We dog sit for him and I’ve really grown attached to him. And, he can’t exactly get on a plane to come for a visit! Or talk to me over the phone. So, leaving Atlanta would be hard. I guess it’s a good thing there are no grandchildren in the picture yet. I hear that is really hard. Almost impossible.
So, relocating in retirement is a BIG decision and not one to enter into without weighing all the consequences. You can always move back, of course. And, in our case, maybe we’ll spend part of the year in Atlanta with our daughter and part of the year with our son in New Jersey. Whatever we decide, we will make the decision that’s best for us, choosing the place where we will be happiest. Knowing, of course, that we could be wrong… and we can always change our mind.
![]() |
| Springtime in Atlanta, GA. |

No comments:
Post a Comment