Saturday, February 26, 2011

Trying Something New for Retirement

I’m here in Fort Collins, CO. to research what there is to do here for my husband and I in our retirement. Well, I have to tell you, I’ve done more in my 12 short days here than he and I have done in the last six months! Yes, we get together with friends for dinner, take in a movie, go out to eat – the usual stuff that people do. Beyond that though, we don’t do too much. We’re content to stay home on Friday and Saturday nights enjoying a glass of wine, watching Netflix or playing pool. We don’t actively look for things to do, however. We rarely search the Internet or read the newspaper for “things to do.” And, if one of us does find something to do, when the time nears to get ready, the other might question if we really want to go and sabotage the outing. Funny how we just get set in our ways and are reluctant to try something new. Reluctant? Tired?  Whatever the reason, we just keep doing what we’ve always done. It takes effort to do something new.

In Fort Collins, however, I’m trying to make the most of my time here and get in as many activities as possible. I’m doing research, after all! Walking around Old Town, checking out coffee shops and other local businesses is not that unusual for me. Nor is going to art galleries. But going to a painting class this week was stepping outside of my comfort zone. First, I don’t paint unless you count painting walls. Drawing? Well, let’s just say I’ve never graduated beyond stick people. So, when Wednesday afternoon came this week and the class started at 6:30 p.m., I began to have doubts about going. I was tired and wouldn’t it be better to stay in and get to bed early? I hadn’t called to register for the class – maybe it was already full. I didn’t have any money invested in it yet. You get the picture. But I recognized that little saboteur in myself. I had heard all those excuses before. And, I was here to do research… So, in that moment of clarity, I called Lauren Howell at Gadabout Art and said I was interested in the class. She put my painting fears to rest, saying the class is for beginners and for people who just want to have a fun evening. I decided to ignore all my self doubts and excuses and go to the class. To really make sure I would go, I called my friend, Laura, who is a watercolorist back home, and told her all about it. Now I was committed. But I also felt excited that I’d stifled that naysayer in me that always says: You don’t really want to do that, do you? I had already achieved something and I hadn’t even walked out the door yet. Whatever else the evening would bring would just be gravy or ice cream on my day!

My first painting! Many thanks to Lauren Howell at GadaboutArt.com for a great evening!

Well, this is what I achieved at Lauren’s guided painting class! Actually the evening was much more than the final product. I had gone. I had learned something new – this is really good for our brains as we age, you know. I had socialized with Lauren and some of her friends – ditto the above. And, I had fun, too – ditto ditto! I’m going to let my painting be my constant reminder of these achievements. I’m going to hang it in a prominent spot at my home in Marietta (metro Atlanta) and let it remind me of all the new things I want to try in Fort Collins when we move here (yeah, it’s probably going to happen). I want to try biking again and disc golf. I want to get a cruiser with baskets on both the front and rear for shopping, a bell for passing and a neon flag, so drivers will see me. I can hear my family groaning with embarrassment at the visual… but too bad! Disc golf? Well, maybe I’ll be better at that than I am at regular golf! One can only hope, right? But first you have to get out the door and try.

My advice for future retirees? Think about what you want to do in retirement. Maybe there’s something you’ve always wanted to try, such as a new hobby or a physical activity. Start a list. Talk to your spouse about the things on your list; share your ideas. Look in your local paper or on the Internet for events that are happening in your community or the place you plan to live. Try something new. Make a commitment to try one new activity each month. And if you have any of my tendencies, make a pact with your partner not to sabotage the activity. Be committed. Make the effort. Change your perspective. Call it retirement research. Whatever it takes, just do it. Walk out that door.

For things to do in Fort Collins, pick up Thursday’s issue of the Coloradoan for their insert called the Ticket. On the Internet, go to: http://www.visit.ftcollins.com/ or http://www.downtownfortcollins.com/. Try something new this week. Pick just one thing. Make the commitment and GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment