People I know and the ones that I’ve met here in Fort Collins , Colorado seem intrigued by what I’m doing. So, I thought I’d tell you how I got here. Fort Collins , which I refer to as FC, has been at the top of our list of retirement places for two years. My husband, Mark and I vacationed in Estes Park , CO , just outside Rocky Mountain National Park , in June 2008. We visited FC during that time and really liked it. That prompted us to really start thinking about where we wanted to live when we retire. Housing and interest rates have been down and it seems like a good time to buy. Ideally, you don’t want to have a mortgage in retirement, so to buy a home now and get it paid off seems like a good idea.
First, we agreed that we do not want to live in Atlanta . We have really great neighbors there and a married daughter who may one day give us a grandchild, but that’s it. So, then the discussion of what we were looking for in a retirement location started.
For this discussion, all you need is a notepad and pen. Open a bottle of wine or put on a pot of coffee and settle in for a bit of brainstorming and discussion. How do you each visualize retirement? What do you enjoy? A good way to start the discussion is to make separate lists first and then bring them together with each of you outlining your criteria. Then you need to make a joint list. Hopefully, after a little compromise, you'll both be on the same page.
One final note for the discussion: Be sure to turn off the TV and other electronic distractors. The computer is not needed, yet, and don’t let him tell you otherwise. J
Our list includes the following:
· Affordable Housing and Living
· Good Climate – less humidity and plenty of sun; some snow and freezing temps are okay
· Good Transit and a Walkable Community – I used to work with the visually impaired, many of whom were seniors. I’ve seen firsthand how narrow one’s world gets if you’re out in the ‘burbs relying on others for transportation. Accessibility as we age is critical.
· Recreational Opportunities – we like hiking/walking, wine tasting, golfing. Mark enjoys riding his motorcycle and working out at the gym. I am an artist who does wine bottle art and fused glass necklaces, so I enjoy art. I also enjoy bird watching.
· College Town – There are usually many educational and recreational opportunities at colleges for seniors. Plus, young people provide vibrancy to a city and if we need assistance in our old age, they may be a good resource!
· City Size – we’re looking for a city that’s not too big or too small, population 100K – 150K
· Access to a Major Airport – we’re looking for a city that’s within an hour of a major airport. We enjoy traveling and we want friends and family to visit us, too.
· Good Healthcare
· Low Crime
So, that’s what we’re looking for. What’s on YOUR list? Send me your comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment